Migration of your website to a new server is a rather complicated procedure and should be done by professionals. Here is the scenario we follow, working together with the client we can make the migration as smooth as possible.
Migration process and milestones¶
- Estimation. We examine your current server and environment and estimate the time needed for website(s) migration. (CRONs, database size, store size, third-party integrations and dependencies).
- New server configuration. We create an optimized server configured specially for your project.
- Pilot migration. We make a copy of your project on the new server (AWS), run functionality tests and monitor the website performance amending the configuration until it works perfectly well. If there are any server-related issues, they are fixed during this period with no extra fee. 
- DNS change. DNS records are changed to the new ones and it takes up to 24 hours to update them. Within these hours we proxy the traffic to your current server through the new one (AWS). 
- Final migration. We stop proxying the traffic to the old server, close the storefront(s), synchronize the database and files and open the storefront(s) again. The period of time when the storefront is closed depends on the type of access you provide us with and the size of the database (if we get SSH, the final migration takes 2-5 minutes).
- Access information. We send you the email containing new access credentials and detailed information about our services and how we provide them. Read more here.
Migration is complete. Your website is now on AWS and is monitored 24/7. You are guaranteed 99.99% server uptime with expert technical support. Our DevOps team is ready to help if something goes wrong with the server.
|||If there is a need to test your website on AWS, we can provide the information for testing through changing the “hosts” file and you will able check the speed and functionality. Please note that you won’t be able to test third-party integrations this way. If you need full testing, we can provide a test domain like teststorename.cloud.simtechdev.com. But it will extend migration time-frames.|
|||If you can’t provide SSH access, please avoid making any changes to your website until the final migration is complete. Also, for the transparent proxying we need your current SSL certificate.|
It usually takes us
- 1-2 business days to examine the server and project;
- 1-2 business days to migrate CS-Cart based projects;
- 2-4 business days to migrate non-CS-Cart based projects (depending on complexity).
Please note that due to our policy we start working on the task once 100% payment is received.
Access needed for migration¶
SSH access is the best for migration. It allows estimating and performing migration fast and minimum downtime.
FTP is much slower and may cause 2-6 hours downtime (closed storefront) in case there is a big number of images and the store size is large.
If you have WHM/cPanel/Plesk/etc., give us access to it and we will try to find the optimal solution.